We always give a pre/post advice sheet out when you come in for your consultation. Just in case that gets lost under a pile of paperwork at home, here it is online!
For your patch test
For the patch test and consultation don’t worry too much about preparation. At this point it’s time for us to assess the hair colour and thickness and we can always shave the small patch to be tested.
Please read carefully the following instructions to follow – prior to each IPL/laser hair removal treatment:
- For the treatment shave 1-3 days before, the hair needs to be just appearing through the skin surface…. So 1-2mm – this is important for the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Do not use perfume products, deodorant, creams, oils on the relevant area 24 hours before each treatment.
- Do not wax, bleach, pluck, or have electrolysis for at least 4 weeks prior to treatment. Shaving area is preferable in between treatments.
- Avoid exfoliation treatments or products containing retinol or strong AHA fruit acids 1 week prior to treatment.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing when attending treatment
- Do not tan 4 weeks prior to treatment. No false tan 3 weeks before this applies once treatment course has commenced.
- Use a minimum of spf 30 on exposed areas as IPL CANNOT be applied on an active tan. But do not use sun block 24 hours prior to treatments.
- Drinking coffee an hour or two before treatment may cause a heightened sensation whist treating.
IT IS REALLY IMPORTANT YOU TELL US IF YOU HAVE A CHANGE IN SKIN COLOUR BETWEEN YOUR PATCH TEST AND BEFORE YOUR NEXT APPOINTMENT AND THAT WE DO NOT TREAT ON AN ACTIVE TAN.
Please read carefully the following advice for after each of your IPL/laser hair removal treatments:
- If a slight reaction occurs please apply Aloe Vera gel or antiseptic cream.
- Please avoid hot baths/showers/steam baths/saunas/exfoliating treatments 1 week after treatments.
- Avoid swimming in strong chlorinated water for a few days
- Please note the hairs are not vapourised nor do they fall out immediately. Hairs will normally fall out between 1-3 weeks after treatment.
- Hair growth will be visible between treatments, albeit slightly finer.
- Please do not expose skin to strong sunlight or sunbeds for at least 2 weeks after treatment.
- Do not shave for 48 hours after treatment – to avoid irritation.
- Use spf30 on treated areas exposed to sunlight.
- Repeat treatments 4-12 weeks apart depending on area/growth cycle of the hair.
IT IS REALLY IMPORTANT YOU TELL US IF YOU HAVE A CHANGE IN SKIN COLOUR AND/OR CHANGES IN MEDICATION OR MEDICAL CONDITION BEFORE YOUR NEXT APPOINTMENT.